Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Trying New Things

I went to my first dance workshop today with JS, MC, VH, PS, NF, and EP. It was taught by Gigi Torres a touring choreographer from LA, to "Untitled" by 112. Coming from just one year of ReFresH and no actual dance class experience, I was worried that I'd be getting in over my head, but even though the choreography was harder than anything I'd ever done before, everyone was friendly and supportive of each other, which inspired me to work hard and keep up. Seeing so many amazing dancers was also an amazing treat.

Gigi. And gasp! It's a video with me hiding in the back(wearing red)!

If someone were to ask me in high school to make a list of things I'd never do, joining a dance group and attending a dance workshop would be up near the top of the list next to things like "eat feces", "shoot small children", and "lose my virginity". But somehow, by virtue of living in the right place (Shepard) with the right people (MC next door yelling "come to practice!" every week), the impossible became unlikely and then reluctantly possible (in the case of dancing, not the other examples listed). *sappy* It's really amazing how much ReFresH changes some people -- we really do feed off each others' energy. In my case, trying something new not only opened the door to a whole new set of friendships, but improved my coordination and (most importantly) kept me from turning into a saggy lump of fails-at-life. You guys are awesome! */sappy*

No comments: